Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program assists income eligible residents of Broward County to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private rental market. Families are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.
A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of their choice where the owner agrees to rent under the Housing Choice Voucher Program. Rentals must meet the HUD established Housing Quality Standards and the rent must be equivalent to comparable market units.
· Finds a suitable unit
· Provides income and family information needed to verify and certify continued program eligibility
· Allows BCHA to inspect unit
· Adheres to all lease requirements, including payment of the family portion of the rent
· Abides by all family obligations under the Housing Choice program
HUD regulations for the voucher program permit BCHA to terminate assistance to participants if any household member or guest does not abide by the following family obligations during assisted tenancy:
1. Supply any information that BCHA determines to be necessary. This includes evidence of citizenship and immigration status, information for use in annual or special certification of family composition, income and deductions.
2. Disclose and verify social security information and sign and submit consent forms to obtain information.
3. Supply any information requested by BCHA to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit.
4. Notify BCHA in writing within 30 days when the family is absent from the unit for an extended period of time.
5. Notify BCHA and the owner in writing before moving from the unit in accordance with the lease.
6. Allow BCHA to inspect the unit at reasonable time and after reasonable notice.
7. Maintain unit in decent condition.
8. Must not participate in illegal drug or violent criminal activity.
9. Must not commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.